Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Thing 3???


Yes now it's time for Thing Daughter 3's room. She is quite a bit younger than my other two daughters (9 and 11 years younger). Her room is in transition, if you will. She still likes the young girl ideas and looks, yet she sees her older sister's rooms and wants more grown-up things like theirs. So we have a mish-mash of design and colors in her room. Her favorite color is now black, so when I make things for her room, I try to incorporate it in when possible-when its something I think she will still want in her teenage years.

Thing Daughter 3's pillows:
About a year ago when I was visiting my sister in Seattle, I came across this quilt square from littlemissshabby.blogspot.com and thought it would make a really cute pillow for my daughter's daybed.
But rather than using a bunch of scraps to make it, I bought 1/8 yard of 5 different fabrics at my sister's favorite quilt shop. (Not cheap going that route). Well when I got home from my trip and showed her a picture and the fabrics, she told me she didn't like them - she wanted to change the colors of her room and have more black. Because none of the fabrics I bought had black, they stayed in the bag collecting dust. After making Thing 1 & Thing 2's pillows, 
I decided that I was going to go ahead and make the one for Thing 3. 

I used the tutorial (above) with a little change. 
I used the strip quilt technique to put together smaller squares.

Fabric needed (if not using scraps):
1/8 yard of at least 4 different fabrics
1 yard of solid (this will also be used to create the envelope back)

Cut fabrics in 1 1/2 inch strips.

Sew the strips together using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.

Press the seams all one direction.

Cut the sewn strips in 1 1/2 inch strips (going the opposite direction.)

Sew the strips you just cut together. From there I followed her tutorial.


To create envelope back:
Cut two rectangles the width of your pillow + 1/2 inch x half the length of your pillow + 2 1/2
My pillow ended up being 13x13 so my envelope pieces were 9 x 13 1/2.
Then follow the first four steps from this post here.

NOTE: If you follow what I did (5 x 5 square in the center) you will end up with a 13" pillow. Pillow forms come in even numbers-12, 14, 16, etc. I had to make my own pillow forms. I used muslin, cut it into 14x14 squares. I used 1/2 seam allowances. Sewed 3 complete sides and on the fourth side I left about 3 inches open. I then stuffed it will polyfil and sewed it closed.

Finished product:

No pictures of Thing 3's room - I can keep it clean long enough to get pictures. Next time it is, I will snap a couple and post them.







No comments:

Post a Comment