Monday, September 10, 2012

Craft Group: Halloween Placemats

A quick apology for my lack of posts. The summer was a CRAZY, CRAZY summer. I'm back and hopefully won't be AWOL like that again.

As I have shared with you before, a friend and I host a monthly craft group. 
So our craft for September is Halloween Placemats.

 I bought painters drop cloth canvas (8oz).  I cut the 14"x18" rectangles using a rotary blade and cutting mat. Being lazy - I didn't feel like doing rolled hems - I used a decorative stitch about 1/4" in from the edge, then frayed the edges.  I think it adds to the look of the placemats.



Using my Cricut, I cut vinyl to use as stencils. I then stuck the reversed image of the vinyl on to the canvas. (The part I didn't want painted). Using painters tape and newspaper, I covered all the edges that were not covered by the vinyl. Then using Rustoleum black spray paint, I painted the canvas. 

Here are the designs that I used for mine:
You could add others ideas like witches and bats, Trick-or-Treat, etc... 







NOTE: My placemats have been washed twice so they do have a little weathered look.
Also, during Craft Group we had a couple of cans of Krylon paint.  Those that used the Krylon had a little bit darker black design-it didn't seep into the canvas as much as the Rustoleum. I do not know how those will wash up-I'm assuming similar to mine.

Happy Crafting!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment