Monday, May 14, 2012

Up a Tree with Cats!

As I shared previously, we have a new little kitten in our home and 2 more joining us shortly.  Knowing how much they like to claw at things, the fact that we don't feel that it is right to declaw cats and how much we don't want to replace our furniture any time soon  (well my husband doesn't), we decided that we would get the kitties a cat condo/tree (what ever you want to call it). After looking and deciding that we didn't want to fork out $150 for one at the pet store, I started searching on the internet for ideas to build my own.  In my searches, I came across plans on https://dadand.com/diy-cat-tower/ He was able to build it for $25. That was all the motivation that I needed. I didn't have the scrap wood laying around that he had, so it did cost me a little more. Plus I modified the plan just a little which did add a little more cost. It cost me about $40.00. It was fairly easy to make as a beginner. I did have a second set of hands, thank you again Hubby, which did make things go a little easier. Plus I borrowed a Kreg jig from a friend.

My supply list:
1 - 2' x 4' x 1/2" board of MDF
1 - 2" x 4" x 8' 
2 - 50ft of 3/8" sisal rope
2 1/2 ft by 12 ft of remnant carpet
18 - 2" wood screws
6 - 1" wood screws


If you check out the plans and directions, you will notice one change just by looking at it. I wrapped the shortest and the next shortest posts in the sisal rope. I used 3/8". This meant that I needed two bundles of 50ft rope. We considered wrapping all three in the rope, but decided that we didn't want that additional cost. I didn't like the idea of the staples on the rope. I was concerned that it may injure one of the cats if their claw got caught on one of the staples. So in my original searches, I remembered reading how someone had started the rope by using a screw to hold it on to the post, then wrapped the post as tight as they could with the rope, plus they used a hammer to tap the rope closer together to make it tighter. They then ended the rope with the 1" screw as well.  So that is what I did. If I could find the website again, I would give full credit to them, but I just don't remember it and didn't "pin" or bookmark it. Sorry!


I followed dadand.com's directions for cutting the corners of the carpet. Most of my corners met up correctly, but I evidently goofed up the cut on some, because the points didn't come together as nicely so there are gaps.  I don't know if I would use that cutting guide again. I don't care for the corners being "open" (see picture below). When I make the next one, I will research other ways to finish the corners. Plus I may add another tier around 36" so there isn't a big jump from the 24" to the 48".  Just thinking of the little kittens that can't make the huge jump yet.


Mickey took to it immediately and started scratching on it. He likes it enough that he has slept on it quite a bit as well. Hopefully the other two will like it as much.

Holly


No comments:

Post a Comment