Sunday, April 8, 2012

Off To The Coast...

I WISH!!!

Instead, I am attempting to bring the coast to Arizona.  I love beachy/nautical items. In an attempt to "lighten up" my kitchen, I have decided to bring in a beach cottage feel. My husband and I were on a trip to Cabo San Lucas a few years ago and I fell in love with the Mexican pottery. I bought a platter with the plans to redo my kitchen in yellow with the blue from the pottery as an accent color. Once I actually got started, I decided I didn't necessarily want to change my wall color. It is Honeydew SW6428 by Sherwin Williams. So I decided to stick with blues, aquas, turquoises and light greens-colors from the ocean.

Most of the stuff I have had collecting dust in a closet or in other parts of the house. Eventually it will be a entire kitchen makeover, but it has to be done little by little - due to the money lack of money issue. 

Here I spray painted a vase with Rust-Oleum satin Aqua and added greenery that I was already using in the kitchen. The blue bottle was pulled out of box in the closet. You can kind of see in the picture, that it has imprints of seashells. The art is by an artist from California, Sally Huss. I really like her work and have a few  of her prints. This particular one is of the San Diego coast line. 

 The lantern is from Ikea-it was originally black. I had purchased two of them for my patio table, but decided I needed a lantern in the kitchen. So I spray painted both of them white. (The other, I use on my ledge with holiday decor.) The plate is from Pier 1. The nautilus shell I have had for many years. The white pillar I bought last year at an antique store in Seattle as well as the blue vase. The white candle holder is from Big Lots about five years ago.

The bottles are from garage sales or were given to me by my sister. The charger and plate are both from Pier 1. The basket in this picture and the next were from Goodwill last year. 

The little lantern is another from Ikea. I found the green vase at TJMaxx. It already had the jute and shell on it.  The shells inside I have had for many years.  This is the platter that inspired the transformation. 

I then decided that I wanted a sign. I liked ones that are geared towards the kitchen, like EAT. But I didn't feel that it would flow with the beach feel. So I was inspired by this one

I liked the weathered look of it, like it came off an old resort. So I made my own.  
(Details of how I did it to follow.)


I hope you are inspired by what you see.

Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment